Towards Deaf Equity with British Sign Language
How important is it to you that your customers understand your product offering, the terms and conditions, and any promotions you are running? Your customer communications team sweat to craft effective messaging, but it’s quite likely that a large number of your prospects and customers are missing out.
Something as simple as a QR code can help Deaf residents have access to the same information as everyone else, enabling them to partake in the planning process during the consultation period.
- - There are more than 300 sign languages in use around the world. These are used by over 70 million deaf people globally.
- - Sign language families do not necessarily follow spoken language families. For instance, American Sign Language (ASL) is a close relative of French Sign Language (La Langue des Signes Française or LSF), but largely unrelated to British Sign Language (BSL). French and American sign language users are more likely to understand each other than people trying to converse between ASL and BSL.
- - As many as 150,000 people in the United Kingdom use BSL as their first, or their only language.
- - When people are presented with information in English, but the need BSL, they may be left uninformed, unconsenting, and under-served.
- Deaf school-leavers may have an average reading age of between 6 and 8 years. There is no correlation between hearing loss and intelligence, but the disadvantage of learning to read without phonics support often puts d/Deaf children at a disadvantage that can follow them throughout life.
Reasons to Act
- - Legal and regulatory requirements
- - Public perception
- - Quality of service
- - Service uptake
- - Enabling self-service
- - Efficiency, value, return-on-investment (ROI)
Robotica will help you by translating your information into British Sign Language, so that your customer communications become inclusive, and contribute towards compliance with accessibility laws, whilst demonstrating your commitment to serving your diverse customers.